The Engineer: A week in my life

 Hello! This week decided to give you guys a little peak into what a typical week in our lives look like. I pretty much just go to work and go home during the week but I thought we thought it might be fun so here it goes: 

Thursday. I wake up at 5:45-6 to go to the gym. I never thought I’d be one of those people that wakes up early to go to the gym but with my schedule in the evening varying so much, it’s just easier to get it out of the way in the mornings. I shower and get ready in the lockerooms and then I head to work. The day before was the big nor’easter winter storm so everything is still running slightly behind schedule because of train delays so work is pretty chill. I finally get the answer to something I’ve been working on for awhile and promised one of my managers that I would have it done by tomorrow. As a result, I end up staying at work late but I end up leaving the office late. I get home, shower, and catch up on some of he shows I missed during the week. Friday. Finally! It’s the end of the week! I don’t know about you guys, but March has really been dragging for me. At work, I participated on a panel with other Pitt Alumni talking to current Pitt students. It was kinda cool and I got to meet some other fellow Pitt people. The rest of the day is just filled with meetings about my projects as well as planning for the NSBE conference (I’m going to be a recruiter!) and I try to finish up my assignments that I promised. Good news though, I finished it and my manager was happy. I leave work on time (which is like 6 PM) and make it home in time to change and head back into New York City for a paint night! My painting came out really bad but the vibes and energy were good so I can’t complain. I get home and pretty much just fall asleep soon after. Saturday. I wake up really early because apparently I can’t sleep past 8am anymore no matter how late I go to bed. I made an appointment to get my oil changed in my car so I get ready to go drop off my car. After, I drop my off my car I talk to one of my friends who’s currently studying in China for a bit to hear more about his experience and how he’s doing overall. I also run to the ups store to pick up a package I had sent there because I had to sign it as well as mail something for my friend in China. I get home, and just as I’m about to take a short nap, I get a call that my car is ready so I go to pick it up. When I get home I head to brunch in Brooklyn. After brunch, I meet up with a friend who’s in town visiting family. From there we head out to a couple more places and then I’m way too exhausted for anything else so I finally head home. Sunday. I wake up exhausted. I spend the entire day just trying to muster up the energy to do things but  pretty much just go between my bed and my couch all day. My parents have started this family prayer meeting in the evenings, so after that is done and I pretty much go to sleep and promise to wake up early to get my things together.  Monday. I completely forgot it was daylight savings time. My body is not prepared for this time change and I end up getting to work later than I usually do. Luckily, I had lunches prepared from last week so I can just grab my things and go. During my commute I schedule some of the tweets/Facebook posts for the week. At work, I end up getting all my work done and completing all that’s on my to-do list for that day and my managers are pleased. I leave work and head to the gym where I run into one of my friends who I haven’t seen in awhile because she’s been sick. We catch up for a really long time and as a result my gym time ends up being cut short but it’s okay cause I missed her. I get home, take a shower eat some leftovers, FaceTime my sister, and fall asleep. Tuesday.  I wake up normally and on time but by the middle of the day, I start to feel like I’m getting sick. I really want to go home, but I have so many meetings that I don’t want to push back so I tough it out for the rest of the day and go home, take a shower, eat, take some ibuprofen and go to sleep. Wednesday.  I wake up feeling 1000% better and so I get ready to go to work. Work is continuously busy with various meetings. I’ve been building this API on top of this data set that I’ve been generating and my manager wants me to put it on a different server to make it more seamless and accessible to others. My projects are coming to a close and I’m just putting the finishing touches which is a huge relief but I’m excited to see what’s next. There’s this project that I really want to be on that I think will be really good for my career, so I’m really hoping that I can position myself to be able to work on it next. My managers ask me to fix some minor things in two of codes and I end up getting so caught up in my assignments that I end up staying late in the office again, but I leave feeling accomplished. On my way to the train, I stop by the Apple Store to replace my headphones that have been acting up for the past couple weeks. Luckily I didn’t have to wait too long and was out within 15 mins! I get home eat dinner, FaceTime some people, watch some TV, finish up this blog post, shower, get my stuff ready for tomorrow and head to bed.  Hope you’ve enjoyed a look into my life! Let us know if you’d like to see more of these! -The Engineer

#WomenInTech #BlackGirlMagic #AWeekInMyLife #BlackEngineers